Join me for this info-packed hour where we discuss a range of topics related to accent and pronunciation training. You’ll get a detailed walk-through of a 50-minute session, ideas to find and enroll new students, strategies to increase your own skill and confidence as an instructor, and so much more.
Although this is a replay of a recorded live session, you can still ask questions in the comment/question section on the workshop page. Just submit your question and I'll get back to you ASAP!
This Program Is Offered For
Note that 0.1 ASHA CEU = 1 contact hour.
ASHA CE Provider approval and use of the Brand Block does not imply endorsement of course content, specific products or clinical procedures.
To receive a course completion certificate or earn ASHA CEUs, you will need to:
- Watch the video workshop.
- Pass a 5 question multiple choice quiz with 80% accuracy. You are permitted to retake the quiz until you have achieved a passing score.
- Complete and submit the online course evaluation.
- Complete the ASHA CEU or CE Hour Request form.
We will then verify your coursework and if you have NOT met all the above course completion requirements, we will notify you by email.
Partial credit is not available for this course.
This course is open for enrollment and available for earning ASHA CEUs through December 31, 2023
You will have access to all course materials for 6 months.
If you are a Speech-Language Pathologist earning ASHA CEUs, you will have 1 year from the date of enrollment to earn ASHA CEUs. So if you enroll on December 31, 2022, you'll still have 1 year to earn ASHA CEUs.
After Completing This Course Participants Will Be Able To
- List 5 instructor skills required to offer Accent Modification
- List 5 areas of training, other than pronunciation, that should be included as part of an Accent Modification training session or program
- Analyze the similarities and differences between an accent training session and an articulation therapy session
- Develop strategies for finding new students
Course content has been reviewed for quality, currency, and effectiveness in assisting learners achieve learning outcomes in compliance with Required Practice 9.13.
What’s The Refund/Satisfaction Policy?
Can I earn ASHA CEUs or continuing education hours for this?
Is there a Deadline To Earn Hours or a Certificate?
Do I Need To Be A Native Speaker Of English To Take This Course?
Presenter and Disclosures
Jessica Kijowski, MS, CCC-SLP is an ASHA certified Speech-Language Pathologist who has spent the last 20+ years teaching accents, dialects, and pronunciation to award-winning actors, models, voice over artists, corporate executives, lawyers, teachers, diplomats, and professional voice users from all over the world.
After earning a Master’s degree in Speech-Language Pathology in 2000 and completing an internship focused the vocal rehabilitation of actors and singers, Jessica began her career as an Accent and Dialect Specialist at New York Speech Improvement Services and The Sam Chwat Speech Center before opening her own private practice in 2013. She created The Accent Channel in 2015 to offer online speech improvement courses, workshops, and teacher training programs. Jessica has also been an Adjunct Professor of Voice and Diction at New York University.
Financial – Jessica Kijowski is creator and owner of The Accent Channel and receives a salary.
Financial –Jessica Kijowski offers other paid courses for accent instructors through The Accent Channel.
Non-Financial – Jessica Kijowski is creator of The Accent Channel Method of Speech Improvement and uses this method with her own students.
No relevant content disclosures.
SLPs, ESL Teachers, Actors, Voice Coaches, and other Professional Voice Users
Time Ordered Agenda
Format: On-Demand Video Workshop
Total Instruction Time: 66.5 minutes
Topics Covered (Time-ordered agenda below is approximate. Times are based on video time stamp)
- Introduction: 0-2:45
- Disclosures: 2:45-4:22
- Agenda: 4:22-5:04
- Qualities of a Successful Accent Instructor: 5:04-13:03
- The Skills You Need to Master to Teach: 13:03- 19:30
- How To Find and Enroll New Students (Spoiler Alert: I explain exactly what I do, and I go much deeper than just telling you to ask for referrals) 19:30-26:14
- Accent Training vs. Articulation Therapy: 26:14-32:42
- Time-ordered Breakdown of a 50-Minute Session: 32:42-37:00
- Questions From Live Attendees: 37:00-65:50
- Tips for Starting a YouTube Channel: 37:30-40:25
- Advice for Students Who Rely Too Much on Worksheets: 40:25-41:50
- Advice for ESL Teachers Who Want to Become Accent or Pronunciation Coaches: 41:50-42:50
- Ways To Improve Your Own Listening Skills and Confidence Level: 42:50-45:10
- How Much Should You Charge?: 45:10-48:55
- Should You Offer a Free Assessment?: 48:55-53:00
- Should You Offer a Package Deal?: 53:00-53:49
- SLP Licensing Question: 53:49-54:20
- How Much Should You Work on Grammar in Accent Training Sessions?: 54:20-55:30
- Is It Important to Have a Website Right Away?: 55:30-56:43
- What I Wish I Would Have Known When I Was Just Starting Out: 56:43-57:50
- Should You Have a Separate Website for Traditional Speech Therapy Services vs. Accent Training Services?: 57:50-58:40
- How To Ask for Testimonials (so you actually get some good ones!): 58:40-60:58
- How To Decide Which Sounds Are Most Important for A Student: 60:58-64:50
- Is Kajabi Similar to Click Funnels?: 64:50-65:50
- Wrap-up and final thoughts: 65:50-66:50