SLP’s, ESL Teachers, Actors, and other Speech and Language Pros,
this course is for you if...
- You think that offering accent and pronunciation training or accent modification would be a really great addition to your services but you're not quite sure how to do it
- You're already working with students but feel like you're making it up as you go or don’t really know what you're doing
- Your current students are cancelling more often than they used to and you want some new ideas to make your sessions more engaging to keep them coming back for more
This short course will help you feel confident enough to work with your first paying students and if you are already working with students, you'll find at least a few fresh ideas that will help with client retention.
Learn about goal setting for Accent and Pronunciation Training and how to structure individual sessions.
You'll be guided through a time-ordered breakdown of a typical session and you'll get some ideas for session activities and homework assignments that are appropriate for this really specific population of students.
This Program Is Offered For
Note that 0.1 ASHA CEU = 1 contact hour.
ASHA CE Provider approval and use of the Brand Block does not imply endorsement of course content, specific products or clinical procedures.
To receive a course completion certificate or earn ASHA CEUs, you will need to:
- Watch the video workshop.
- Pass a 5 question multiple choice quiz with 80% accuracy. You are permitted to retake the quiz until you have achieved a passing score.
- Complete and submit the online course evaluation.
- Complete the ASHA CEU or CE Hour Request form.
We will then verify your coursework and notify you by email letting you know if you have satisfactorily met all the above course completion requirements. Partial credit is not available for this course.
This course will be open for enrollment and available for earning ASHA CEUs from
May 12, 2021 until May 31, 2022
You will have 6 months from the date of enrollment to complete the program and earn ASHA CEUs. So if you enroll on May 31, 2022, you'll still have 6 months to complete the course and earn ASHA CEUs.
You will have access to all course materials for 6 months.
After Completing This Course Participants Will Be Able To
- Determine the most important goals when creating an accent/pronunciation training lesson plan for a non-native speaker
- Design and conduct 50-minute accent and pronunciation training sessions
- Select appropriate practice materials for accent and pronunciation training
- Apply practice and training techniques to help students use goal sounds and features in conversational speech
- Develop accent and pronunciation training exercises and homework strategies for students
What’s The Refund/Satisfaction Policy?
Can I earn ASHA CEUs or continuing education hours for this?
Is there a Deadline Complete The Course and Earn Hours or a Certificate?
Do I Need To Be A Native Speaker Of English To Take This Course?
Don’t I need some special certification or licensure to teach accents and dialects?
Presenter and Disclosures
Jessica Kijowski, MS, CCC-SLP is an ASHA certified Speech-Language Pathologist who has spent the last 20+ years teaching accents, dialects, and pronunciation to award-winning actors, models, voice over artists, corporate executives, lawyers, teachers, diplomats, and professional voice users from all over the world.
After earning a Master’s degree in Speech-Language Pathology in 2000 and completing an internship focused the vocal rehabilitation of actors and singers, Jessica began her career as an Accent and Dialect Specialist at New York Speech Improvement Services and The Sam Chwat Speech Center before opening her own private practice in 2013. She created The Accent Channel in 2015 to offer online speech improvement courses, workshops, and teacher training programs. Jessica has also been an Adjunct Professor of Voice and Diction at New York University.
Financial – Jessica Kijowski is creator and owner of The Accent Channel and receives a salary.
Financial –Jessica Kijowski offers other courses through The Accent Channel and mentions some of those courses in this workshop.
Non-Financial – Jessica Kijowski has no relevant non-financial relationships to disclose.
The content of this online course will focus on learning The Accent Channel Method of Accent, Dialect, and Pronunciation Training. Other methods and resources for accent and dialect training will not be covered.
SLPs, ESL Teachers, Actors, Voice Coaches, and other Professional Voice Users
Format: Video lecture
On-Demand Learning: Once you enroll, you'll get immediate access to the course.
Total Instruction Time: 60 Minutes
Topics Covered (time-ordered break downs below are approximate)
- Intro and agenda (2 mins)
- Who is a good fit to teach accents and pronunciation? (3 mins)
- Working with your student to choose a speech model (2 mins)
- Goal setting (3 min)
- General tips for sessions ( 1 mins)
- Structure of a 12-Week Program (2 min)
- Structure of a 50-Minute Session (2 mins)
- Time-ordered breakdown of a 50-Minute Session (32 mins)
- Activity and homework ideas for 1-to-1 sessions ( 6 mins)
- Dos and Don’t of Accent and Pronunciation Training (4 mins)
- Components of a session not related to pronunciation (2 mins)
- Wrap-up and final thoughts (1min)
Access the entire course 24/7 on your computer or on your smartphone using the Kajabi app.
What I Love About Teaching Accents and Pronunciation
You can work with anyone in the world, from anywhere in the world
You can make it full-time or part-time, depending on how many students you choose to see, and you can do the work from anywhere in the world. And the best part...when you build your own business, you are in charge and can set your own schedule.
It's a low-risk startup business
You don’t need any expensive equipment or specialized materials to get started. In fact, if you have a computer or smartphone (and since you're reading this I'm assuming you do) you already have almost everything you need. Most students prefer the flexibility to work with you via video call.
It can create new streams of income
Online learning and coaching is becoming more and more common for speech and pronunciation work. Once you know how to work with students in this specialized area, you can offer online courses, membership programs, group coaching, webinars and online workshops… The possibilities to grow your business are endless and you can do it all on your own terms.
We get to help our students feel confident about speaking and lead more enjoyable lives.
I created this intro course because I wanted to offer an affordable option that included enough training to help you feel confident about your first sessions and give you some new ideas to use with your current students.